Thursday 18 July 2013

Light Shrimp Alfredo Pasta

This recipe is free of gluten and has a low lactose content.


I am a huuuge fan of alfredo. It's definitely my favourite sauce, hands down. However, classic alfredo sauce is pretty much just butter with a bit of garlic and seasoning, and most marketed alfredo sauces found in North America are loaded with heavy creams that would definitely twist my lactose-sensitive stomach. 

While I'm definitely not a calorie counter, putting half a cup of butter into my sauce is a bit much for me, same with heavy creams - even if I could tolerate them, just.. no. So, I decided to compromise and use a fraction of the butter called for in classic alfredo recipes, but use yogurt to get that creamy flavour us alfredo fans love so much! 

It was FANTASTIC. This was my first attempt at making alfredo from scratch, so I stuck to the basics and am so pleased with the results! Next time, I'll probably add some mushrooms and broccoli for that extra umph, but even on its own it was great. I also tested it on a few hungry men who seconded my enthusiasm. I highly recommend giving this spin on alfredo a shot!


Yield: Serves 3-4

1 11oz package pasta (I used gluten-free spaghetti, but you can use the more traditional fettuccine or penne)
28 large shrimp
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic cloves
1½ cups low-fat yogurt
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (parmesan) 
⅛ cup butter (quarter of a stick) + 1 tablespoon for boiling pasta
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon oregano
Salt to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper


Boil pasta until tender in salted water with a tablespoon of butter.

Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large frying pan, then add garlic. Fry garlic until brown, then add the shrimp, cooking for 10 minutes on medium heat.

Once pasta is finished, drain water and transfer it back into the pot. The shrimp should be done by now, so add the shrimp and garlic with whatever oil is left in the pan.

Add the rest of the ingredients - except the pepper - stirring frequently until mixture is hot and cheese is melted.

Serve with a hearty dose of freshly ground black pepper on each plate.

Enjoy!


Post by McKayla

No comments :

Post a Comment