Monday 1 July 2013

Honey Garlic Roasted Vegetable Skewers

This recipe is free of gluten, dairy and nuts.


I was struggling to think of something to go with my Canada Day salmon and came up with this! Normally with salmon I make fattoush (recipe coming soon), a Lebanese salad with toasted pita, but today I was fresh out of lettuce and all grocery stores are closed given the occasion. I'm actually SO happy that I ran out of lettuce because this was way better and a good change from my usual routine! I love honey garlic anything, and love vegetable skewers, so the combination was a good idea if I do say so myself. 

Yield: 5 Skewers

Veggies:
1 large-ish onion (a larger "medium" onion more like it)
1 red pepper
½ large cucumber
2 medium tomatoes

Marinade:
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce 
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil

A few healthy shakes of veggie seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste



Chop the veggies into bite-sized pieces, but not too small as we want them to be just right for piercing with the skewers. If they are too small they will fall off the skewers during the piercing or during the roasting.

Mix marinade ingredients together and place in a large bowl with veggies for 2-8 hours. Every now and then I stirred up the bowl because I wanted all of the veggies to sit in the marinade, but didn't want to dilute the marinade with water so that it covered the veggies as I would do with a meat marinade. Keep the marinade because you'll be spreading it on the skewers throughout the roasting process!

Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6.

Skewer the marinaded veggies. Some people like to stick to a pattern but I'm much less meticulous. 

Line a deep pan with foil to catch the drippings. If the pan has a minimum inch of height, it allows the skewers to cook well underneath as well as on top. Balance the ends of the skewers over a deep pan. 

Spread the marinade over the skewers (as you would baste meat), and sprinkle a healthy few shakes of veggie seasoning over the skewers followed by salt and pepper to taste.

Place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and spread more of the marinade on all sides of the veggies before placing back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

Remove, let cool, and enjoy! 



Posted by McKayla

No comments :

Post a Comment