Wednesday 3 July 2013

Gluten-Free White Sandwich Bread

This recipe is free of gluten and can be free of lactose if clarified butter is used.


After many months of uncomfortable symptoms and trial-and-error, I came to the realization gluten had to go. Co-founder of Pumpkin Bits, Navada, has been eating gluten-free for most of her life, but this is all new to me! The first thing I needed to do was find some sort of bread substitute. 

I poured through the internet but none of the recipes suited my needs; I also can't tolerate lactose, so it's double the fun for me. I have actually never baked bread before, and this is a recipe I composed first try from researching the requirements for a basic loaf of bread and comparing it with other recipes. May I add it's an extremely LUCKY first try as Navada tasted my whole-grain flax version and said it was one of the best GF breads she's ever tasted. Her fiance and 1 year old also loved it. Her 1 year old loved it so much she climbed on top of the table to get the rest of the bread I brought over - now that's a good review! It's made in my bread machine, but Navada bakes all her bread in the oven, so an oven-friendly version will be coming soon!

Yield: 1 loaf 

2 cups white rice flour
1¼ cups tapioca flour
½ cup arrowroot powder
2½ teaspoons guar gum
1½ teaspoons dried yeast
1½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1½ cups soy milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 eggs


I make this bread on the generic white bread cycle on my bread machine, medium crust.

Heat soy milk in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and place back in the microwave for another 2 minutes. My bread didn't rise the same (it over-rose, actually) unless I did this. Leave to cool until room temperature - DO NOT add it to anything until it has cooled down, it will kill the yeast and ruin the bread. Can you tell I learned that from unfortunate experiences? 

Place dry ingredients in the pan. Mix wet ingredients together, except the butter. While mixing, melt the butter, then add it to the wet ingredients. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry slowly, allowing it to mix as you pour. Some people add them at different times, but honestly it made absolutely no difference in this bread.

The beauty of the bread machine is that this is absolutely the end of your involvement in the bread. It's fantastic, just walk away and in about 4 hours you'll have a delicious loaf of bread. The upside to this bread is that it's flexible and doesn't crumble, so it's perfect for sandwiches or even hot dogs. The texture is great, and it's not flat like some gluten-free breads. 

Personally I love eating mine toasted with some crunchy peanut butter. Mmmm.

Enjoy!

Post by McKayla


No comments :

Post a Comment