Friday 28 June 2013

Classic Hummus

Free of gluten, dairy and nuts. Vegan friendly. 




I am obsessed with hummus. I eat it everyday on everything. I eat it with my steak, I eat it with my vegetables, I put it on bread for a snack, in my sandwiches, etc. etc. I can go on. 

The best hummus recipes I've come across have been Lebanese, but they were missing a key ingredient. They tasted slightly bland, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then someone suggested I put cumin in my hummus - uughhhh sooo glad I did. Hummus has never tasted better!

Yield: 1 medium-sized bowl

3 cups soaked chickpeas
¾ cup tahina paste
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup water from boiled chickpeas
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¾ teaspoon salt
Paprika, parsley, olive oil and a few straw chickpeas for garnish

I highly recommend using dried chickpeas. You soak them for a minimum of 12 hours, and then boil them until they're soft. Canned chickpeas just doesn't provide the same flavour. 

After your chickpeas are boiled, put them in a blender or food processor along with all the other ingredients until a paste is formed.  I used a blender, so I had to frequently stop it to mix the paste so that all the chickpeas would be blended evenly. 

You can get creative and draw designs in your hummus for presentation. I drew a spiral as you can see above, then filled it with olive oil. Garnish with chickpeas, paprika, then parsley. 

Enjoy!


Post by McKayla

No comments :

Post a Comment